Our ParishHistoryFrom Church to Cathedral › Installation

    From Church to Cathedral
1957 ~ 2007
Celebrating 50 Years as a Cathedral
 
 


On Monday, May 27, 1957, Walter P. Kellenberg was formally installed as the first Bishop of Rockville Centre during a 3 hour service which included a procession on Quealy Place and Bishop Kellenberg's first solemn pontifical mass in the newly designated St. Agnes Cathedral.

The installation was presided over by Francis Cardinal Spellman, Archbishop of New York.  In addition to Cardinal Spellman, the installation was attended by three archbishops, twenty-five bishops, one hundred monsignors, four hundred priests and one hundred nuns.

Those attending included:

Archbishop Patrick O'Boyle, Washington Archbishop John O'Hara, Philadelphia Archbishop William O'Brien, Chicago
Bishop Harold Henry, Kwang-Ju, Korea Bishop Hubert Cartwright, Wilmington Bishop Philip Furlong, US Military Ordinariate 
Bishop Edmund Reilly, Brooklyn Bishop Coleman Carroll, Pittsburgh Bishop Edward Dargin, New York 
Bishop Lawrence Casey, Rochester Bishop-Elect James Navagh, Ogdensburg Bishop John Boardman, Brooklyn
Bishop Paul Hagarty, Bahamas Bishop David Cunningham, Syracuse Bishop James Griffiths, New York
Bishop Joseph Flannelly,  New York Bishop James McNulty, Paterson Bishop Henry Klonowski, Scranton
Bishop Lawrence Shehan, Bridgeport Bishop William Scully, Albany Bishop William Arnold, US Military Ordinariate
Bishop James Connolly, Fall River Bishop-Elect Bryan McEntegart, Brooklyn Bishop Ambrose Senyshyn, Byzantine Rite 
Apostolic Exarchate, Stamford
Bishop Walter Foery, Syracuse Bishop George Leech, Harrisburg Bishop Stephen Donahue, New York
Bishop Fulton Sheen, New York

Among the priests assisting at the installation were Fr. Edward Kellenberg, the new bishop's brother and two priests who would  go on to be a part of the life of St. Agnes.  Fr. John McGann who would eventually become the second bishop of Rockville Centre and Fr. Robert Mulligan who would one day become cathedral rector. 

Installation Program









Click on each photo to enlarge.

 

         


Following the installation a luncheon was held at the Garden City Hotel.






PreviousStart

Sources:
- "From a Blacksmith Shop To A Majestic Gothic Edifice", 1935
- Leonard, CSJ, Sr. Joan de Lourdes, "Richly Blessed, The Diocese of Rockville Centre 1957-1990", (Walsworth Publishing, 1991)
- O'Neill, James "To Believe In A Vision"  (Delmar, 1983)
- "Rededication Journal", 1982
 
 
 

 
Home ~ Our Parish ~ Ministries ~ Parish School ~ Religious Education ~ Bulletin
 
Our Parish Mission
We, the parish of Saint Agnes Cathedral, a community of believers, proclaim the presence of Christ in the

world through Word, Sacrament and deeds.  Affirming the sanctity of each person, we minister to all
by committing ourselves to renewal, formation, and living the Gospel. 
 

   © Copyright 2017 ~ All Rights Reserved


NOTE: Many of the documents on this site require Adobe Reader©. Download for free from
Adobe
Parish of Saint Agnes Cathedral
29 Quealy Place
Rockville Centre, NY 11570
516-766-0205
Directions | Contact Us