Our ParishHistoryFrom Church to Cathedral › Cathedral Visit

    From Church to Cathedral
1957 ~ 2007
Celebrating 50 Years as a Cathedral
 
 



A crowd estimated at 15,000 thronged to the streets surrounding St. Agnes to greet the new bishop.  
Quealy Place, College Place, Clinton Avenue, and Front Street were filled with spectators. 



The crowd waited patiently as Bishop Kellenberg entered St. Agnes Cathedral for a brief visit and prayer.




Bishop Kellenberg prays before the high altar on his first visit.



Bishop Kellenberg prepares to leave the cathedral.




Bishop Kellenberg is escorted from the cathedral by parishioner and Knight of Malta Mr. Benjamin Dowd.





Bishop Kellenberg and Mr. Dowd outside the cathedral.







Bishop Kellenberg seen walking toward the reviewing stand to view the parade that had escorted him 
from the western border of the village to the cathedral.  Fr. Francis Williams (later Msgr. and Cathedral Rector) is seen to the left of the bishop.  Fr. Williams, a curate at St. Agnes, represented Msgr. Quealy during the installation of Bishop Kellenberg.


PreviousNext
 
  Sources:
- "From a Blacksmith Shop To A Majestic Gothic Edifice", 1935
- Leonard, CSJ, Sr. Joan de Lourdes, "Richly Blessed, The Diocese of Rockville Centre 1957-1990", (Walsworth Publishing, 1991)
- O'Neill, James "To Believe In A Vision"  (Delmar, 1983)
- "Rededication Journal", 1982
 
 
 

 
Home ~ Our Parish ~ Ministries ~ Parish School ~ Religious Education ~ Bulletin
 
Our Parish Mission
We, the parish of Saint Agnes Cathedral, a community of believers, proclaim the presence of Christ in the

world through Word, Sacrament and deeds.  Affirming the sanctity of each person, we minister to all
by committing ourselves to renewal, formation, and living the Gospel. 
 

   © Copyright 2017 ~ All Rights Reserved


NOTE: Many of the documents on this site require Adobe Reader©. Download for free from
Adobe
Parish of Saint Agnes Cathedral
29 Quealy Place
Rockville Centre, NY 11570
516-766-0205
Directions | Contact Us