HomeOur ParishCathedral Tour › Baptismal Font

 

The baptismal font, on the left side of the sanctuary, reflects the same design motif as the main Altar, Tabernacle Altar and Ambo and was installed as part of the restoration of the sanctuary completed in 2016. It contains its own plumbing so that living water may flow into the font during baptism. 

On the wall to the left of the font is an icon of the Baptism of Christ. On the rear wall of the baptistery area there are three cabinets, appearing as little houses, called an ambry in which the sacramental oils are kept.  These sacred oils are blessed by the Bishop on Holy Thursday.

This font was installed in 2016 replacing the font that was installed in 1982. The original marble font from the cathedral's construction in 1935 now stands at the main entrance to the Cathedral and is the main holy water font.  The original baptistery once stood in the main vestibule of the Cathedral behind a wrought iron grille.  This grille can now be found in sacristy and separates the main sacristy area  from the stairway that leads to the Msgr. Quealy room beneath the Cathedral.  

 
  Previous | Index | Next  
 
 

 
Home ~ Our Parish ~ Ministries ~ Parish School ~ Religious Education ~ Bulletin
 
Our Parish Mission
We, the parish of Saint Agnes Cathedral, a community of believers, proclaim the presence of Christ in the

world through Word, Sacrament and deeds.  Affirming the sanctity of each person, we minister to all
by committing ourselves to renewal, formation, and living the Gospel. 
 

   © Copyright 2017 ~ All Rights Reserved


NOTE: Many of the documents on this site require Adobe Reader©. Download for free from
Adobe
Parish of Saint Agnes Cathedral
29 Quealy Place
Rockville Centre, NY 11570
516-766-0205
Directions | Contact Us