HomeOur ParishCathedral Tour › Anvil

 

 

To the left of the entrance to the Cathedral you will find this blacksmith's anvil.  

It stands today in front of the cathedral to commemorate the occasion of the first Mass in Rockville Centre which was offered during the summer of 1887 in the blacksmith shop of  Walter Johnson.  

"The Old Forge" of Mr. Johnson was located on Centre Avenue north of present day Merrick Road, then known as Jamaica Avenue.  Bishop John Loughlin of the Diocese of Brooklyn assigned Fr. E. J. Connell of Rockaway Beach to serve Mass for a group of six Catholic families living in the area.  

The anvil monument was donated to the Cathedral by Mr. Frank Calitri in memory of J. J. Strazzeri.


 


 
  Previous | Index | Next  
 
 

 
Home ~ Our Parish ~ Ministries ~ Parish School ~ Religious Education ~ Bulletin
 
Our Parish Mission
We, the parish of Saint Agnes Cathedral, a community of believers, proclaim the presence of Christ in the

world through Word, Sacrament and deeds.  Affirming the sanctity of each person, we minister to all
by committing ourselves to renewal, formation, and living the Gospel. 
 

   © Copyright 2017 ~ All Rights Reserved


NOTE: Many of the documents on this site require Adobe Reader©. Download for free from
Adobe
Parish of Saint Agnes Cathedral
29 Quealy Place
Rockville Centre, NY 11570
516-766-0205
Directions | Contact Us